Would you pay more for a pint of Milk ?

In the light of farmers asking for a few pence more for their milk, would anyone object or be willing to pay a little more for such a precious commodity  ? ....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,505

No.  I think it's appalling that supermarkets can push prices down like that and browbeat farmers.   It's bad for the farmers and bad for their animals and bad for the long term future of milk and dairy produce in the UK and Europe.

.A litre of semi-skimmed organic milk works out at 89 cents in Tesco and 95 cents here in our cheapest (overall so not LIDL or ALDI) supermarket in Belgium.    I'd happily pay a liveable price for it. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,536

I do pay more and I'm happy to - we buy our milk from the local farm shop who buy it from a local farm - it's around £1.80 for 2 litres.http://www.marybelle.co.uk/home

At Tesco it's apparently £1 for 2.27 litres.  Bdooly ridiculous!  How are farmers expected to make a living!  It's wicked and totally immoral image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Quite agree.  When we bought this former farm our nearest neigbours were mixed farmers who sold milk, butter, formage frais and so on but by the time we'd moved in a few months later all teh cows had gone and they'd turned their pastires over to horses and started a livery with riding and archery school, so hoping to make a living out of their hobbies.   Huge gamble but they couldn't afford to adapt their dairy buildings to the new cold room standards demanded by the EU.

Fortuately, it's worked for them but not all farms and farmers are ideally situated for such diversififyng and those who look after their animals well deserve better incomes than they currently get.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • i would pay more and id like to know where the best place is to buy it for the farmers. what ever happened to the milk marketing board? they still have one in the channel islands.

we buy ours at the local co-op but this week went into liddl and it was very cheap,about 75p.doesnt seem right.

I tell my husband when we see the cows in the field, remember this, because in years to come,this will be part of the past.the new diary farms have cows indoors who never see grass.he laughs at me.but im sure that's the way its going.(god I sound like my dad "don't know what you'll see"etc.)

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I would gladly pay more for milk.  It's appalling that dairy farmers are being driven out of business by supermarkets.  

My neighbours tell me they make money on the riding school but there's no profit left in arable or dairy farming here so it isn't just dairy cows that may disappear but fields of wheat, barley, flax, sugar beet, potatoes......    We'll end up surrounded with GM rape seed grown for its bio fuel.

I buy organic chicken, well brought up pork (still not standard on the continent) and organic or pasture raised Irish or Scottish beef which is expensive but worth it.  We just eat less of it.  I've found a local supplier of organic pork and beef here but they expect me to buy half a beast and I don't have the freezer capacity for half a cow, half a pig and half a sheep.

• As you guys know, im doing my best to be dairy free, however my other half gets through around 16 litres a week, it would make a fair difference to us if we had to pay a lot more, but i would be willing to support the farmers by paying a little extra image

I try to always buy "better" meat, at the very least british, and will cut it into joints myself to save a few pennies as its cheaper to buy a big piece....not the nicest task for a veggie, but i think its important to do what i can image
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

We don't consume much milk, only a drop in strong tea and I'll be honest I buy skimmed long life stuff as neither enjoy milk, it must be 30yrs since I bought fresh milk, other than for specific recipes. If I make porridge it is with LF skimmed. Most of our calcium intake is from butter and cheese.  

I have read and heard about SM's and exploitation of dairy farmers and it's disgusting, if I did buy fresh I would happily pay extra. I'm sure Mum who drinks a lot would happily pay more. 

I think free school milk which with hindsight was a great thing, sadly put me off milk. Warm and yukky in the warm months and I was made to drink it  image 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Bekkie can I ask why are you trying to be dairy free? I pay great attention to my calcium intake as my mother has osteoporosis. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,732

Wow, 16L a week is a lot, Beckie!

I pay 1.03€ a litre, whatever that is, so it has come down a lot here in France too. I would also be willing to pay more, that price is ridiculous when you think of the costs and the work involved.

Dordogne and Norfolk