Laurel - uses

a1154a1154 Posts: 749

I could definitely do with more evergreens and more structure - im just looking at laurel as it seems to look good all year round, and i think good in windy sites. 

my question is - is laurel just a rather large hedge plant or is it good for a mixed shrubbery?  or other places?  Any good ideas for using laurel??

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

I assume we're talking Prunus laurocerasus?

It makes a nice big shiny bush. I think you need to tip the ends of the branches in  youth to get it to thicken up. I have some that I just let grow and they were fine for a good 15 years then got very see-through. They are  big shrubs if you don't trim them, roadside electric wire height and still growing.

I like Portugal laurel, Prunus lusitanicus,  it's a nice dark green and less inclined to get bits of die back. Again tall if not clipped

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,976

I use the spotted one under conifers to brighten up the end of the garden. It doesnt seem to mind the dry shady conditions.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Ive got a few, they can get really big if left to do their own thing, but i cut mine almost down to the ground, and they came back well, not sure i would use them in a mixed bed, unless its a big space. What about that other laurel, is it portugese laurel? That seems a little more well mannered image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

and Aucuba japonica, that makes a nice bright patch.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 749

Its the common one ive seen nice and cheap.  I do have plenty of space and could do with something there in winter stopping some wind.  Dont really fancy a formal hedge though. 

• What about escallonia? I pinched some when i was on hollibobs in devon, it seems to cope with anything.

Whats the worst that could happen if you plant laurel and dont like it? Yes it can be a monster to dig up, but its doable and you will have more of an idea of what will go there, or you will love it and be glad you planted it image as you said its cheap enough to have a go image

Think ill just get 3 and try and triangle arrangement In a windy spot. 

Having seen them i changed my mind and going for portugal laurel - it looks nice and i think more versitIle.