What would you do with this huge garden?

Hi Guys, I'm new here but I expect to become a regular as I have recently moved into this rather strange property- It's a 3 bed semi with this huge plot out the back, 2.3 acreas. 

I have a 2 year old, and I am looking for ideas- This piece if land is to be a magical out door playground for kids, but is to look as natural and green and beautiful as possible from the house. 

I was thinking a path around the outside, and breaking it up with some slow growing hedges so I can have areas of open space and areas to possibly keep animals, perhaps an alotment as well as a areas of interest (like a little hobbit home at the bottom). 

I would love to here any ideas that are relatively low maintenance, great for kids and look good from the window. 

What would you do? 

P.S. I am a not yet what you would call 'a gardener'... but I will have to be! 

• WillsWills Posts: 262

if it was me i would paint white lines 4 flags 2 goal posts every saturday have a game of football your garden is huge plant wise wouldint know where to start image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

I'd get a couple of herbivores to help keep the grass down.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,270

I like the idea of dividing it up with a few hedges, so you can't see it all in one go (much better for any hobbits that want to exploreimage).  I would also tackle making new areas one at a time - it all looks very presentable at the moment, so it won't hurt to leave some as it is - that way you won't take on too much and get discouraged.  It looks a great garden - you're going to have fun making your markimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,611

WOW and GULP in equal measures

A wildflower meadow inter planted here and there with a few native shrubs and tress would help keep it low maintenance.
    If it were me I'd do about 2 acres image

Good luck!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

big old plot indeed, but it's really for you decide what you want from it.

Do you want to sit on a ride on lawn mower for ease of maintenance, do you want to grow veg, do you want a greenhouse How much money / time do you want to invest in it?

Big questions I know, ( we moved 3 years ago from 10m x 20m to 7.6 acres) 

Narrow it down a bit and rephrase the question would be my suggestion.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,535

A chicken run, a veg patch, a greenhouse , an orchard and a walnut tree, a little stand of coppiced hazels with snowdrops and wild daffodils beneath them, a wigwam made of living willow, some island beds of perennials and shrubs, (and when little one is bigger, a wildlife pond) .... I could go on and on ....  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Gosh, that's a big space!  Do you know how the former owner dealt with keeping the grass under control?  If they had - say - a ride-on mower - could you perhaps buy it from them? 

If you don't keep the grass relatively short right from the start, any planting in the future will be much more difficult for you to tackle, so I'd suggest that you seriously consider how to cope with this aspect of things right now.  It may be possible for you to use the services of a local (professional) gardener to deal with this on a regular basis for you, but it's worth thinking about all the costs and time involved. Some of the "gardening" businesses round here have large machinery, but not all of them do.  Mowing that area would take you so long that other things would have to take a bit of a back seat!  On the other hand, a ride-on mower is probably one of the best "boys' toys" any gardener could have!

Maybe now's the time for you to visit your local library and look at some books which might be helpful.  I've found this quite useful in the past, when I've found a book I liked and then found a way to get hold of a copy for myself via a website. You could look and see if there are any gardens which have elements which you too would like,and could copy, and taking photos when you visit gardens helps too.

There's no "quick fix" to any of this (unless of course you've got this week's winning lottery ticket) so I believe the best way forward is to keep things under control and looking tidy whilst you decide what to change.  Creating a series of spaces is something most of us would love to be able to do, and you've got the opportunity to do that here. 

One of the other things you'd need to consider is the boundaries, and who is responsible for their maintenance.  It's not likely that you'd "own" all of them, so how they're managed/controlled is something you'll have to bear in mind as well.

Good luck, and perhaps you'll let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers!  Ma.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,643

I would have the area nearest the house as a garden with flowers, then a veg garden and chicken area (if you want chickens), perhaps pet rabbits for the children in a fox proof pen. A wood cabin sort of Wendy house for the children somewhere and a swing and a slide.Then an orchard and the area beyond as rough grass with wild flowers (?plug plants) with mown grass paths in it. Then you won't need to mow the lot and it won't look neglected because of the mown paths - which the children can run or bike on.

But really if it were me I'd keep 1 1/2 acres for a couple of ponies!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,813

What would I do ? 

I would love it  and I'm jealousimage

• echo that! lucky you. Looks like you have lots of sun as well as space.