Forum home Talkback

Old Wive's Tales/Tips and Wrinkles

How about running a thread on whether any sayings or tips and wrinkles that seem really strange  work. We all know 'Red Sky at Night Shepherd's Delight etc' is normally accurate. Also gardening tips could be here based on companion planting. I know I go on about the French methods but they do have some interesting ideas like letting tomatos climb round runner beans - Brilliant crops from both every year and saves so much space.

Can't find any threads on the Forums relating to tips and wrinkles - Let's start one.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,584

I grew Tagettes along with my tomatoes last year,  I read somewhere it was good, only to get so many white fly on them that of course got onto the tomato plants, never done it before and will never do it again.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• philip4philip4 Posts: 42

old sayings; here is an interesting saying from my old boss of 65 years or more ago.

when it rains on't flaw tha can ga ta ma but if it  rains on't ebb tha tha can ga ta bed.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Runny image Or they are under 25 years old and out for the night. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,547

image Or:

The rain it raineth on the just

And also on the unjust fella

But mainly on the just because

The unjust steals the just's umbrella

Ogden Nash

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Pansy love it image

• KEF and runny- most Edinburgh girls under the age of 25 regularly go out in sub zero temperatures with practically nothing on image Used to make me weep when I lived there. I could almost feel myself getting a kidney infection, just watching them!

Pansy, that is brilliant image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,547

Haha Jess. When I went to live in Edinburgh I was a penniless 17 year old student. My first week there, in September, was so cold, my digs were freezing, the bed had hardly any blankets and I couldn't sleep I was so perished. My tutor at college asked me how I was settling in and I said that I was unaccustomed to the cold, especially at night. Imagine my alarm when he suggested that I would be warmer if I had a couple of heavy Scotsmen on the bed. I didn't know that he was referring to the newspaper, The Scotsman, and not  to an orgy.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Oh runny beak image

Pansy image your tutor was so PC eh!