Bad news for garden birds

Seem many of our garden birds are in decline according to the BTO. All sorts of problems relating to habitat, food availability and even loft insulation reducing nest sites for House Sparrows. (full story)

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Very interesting Alan and worth a read,

• Ive got two sparrow terrace nest boxes that I've been meaning to put up since last winter. Maybe I ought to get on with it.

• A woman on my local radio said that wind turbines are killing off bats because when bats fly near the turbines the wind eddies are so strong it ruptures the bats brains which are tiny. Never heard this before, was she pulling listeners legs?

I keep wondering if the horseshoe bat I found in my sitting room has sucumbed to the turbine at the end of our lane.

Where have my flock of long tailed tits gone? They have come to my garden each year for the last 9 years, in flocks of 12/ 18, have only seen a few this year so far.

I usually have about a dozen robins fighting over territory along the banks but hardly any this year.

Definitely fewer birds this year unless it is because there has been plenty of food for them due to the long hot summer. Still lots of haws on teh hawthorn bush on the bank.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Another black mark to chalk up against those useless monstrosities. Us folk who find electricity bills difficult to pay, are putting so much money into the pockets of people who put the things up.

Green energy; my ar*e.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

my guess is the good folk of Fukishima wish they had wind turbines rather than nuclear. Just a thought.

Devon.
  • I've noticed this too, Joyce GL.  Every year seems different when it comes to the birds - this year we suddenly have loads of housesparrows, plenty of blackbirds, but have only seen goldfinches one or two at a time, and not that often, and the longtailed tits flew in one day last week, and then were gone again.  Robins, blue tits and great tits always seem to be around.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    That nuclear reactor should never have been built there on a fault line. It had been condemned because of faults and it was past its sell by date.

Wind turbines can never replace nuclear on so many counts.
  • And yet we need electricity.