Forum home The potting shed

chilis

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,852

It's Seville orange time again and I got some yesterday in the market. I usually just make the normal sort of thick-cut stuff but my eye fell on some fresh chilis and the thought crossed my mind that hot and spicy marmalade might be worth a try.

Has anyone ever seen chili marmalade for sale or tried making it?

Or do I just have a spot of cabin fever?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,577

It's an interesting idea Pansy.

I'm not sure how it would be different to chilli jam unless you were thinking of something less sweet? Perhaps actually adding chopped chilli to Seville orange marmalade would make an interesting, more bitter-yet-with-a-hint-of-fruit-and-sweetness alternative?

If you decide to try it in a small jar I would be interested to hear the verdict  image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,852

Well, there you go. I made the marmalade in the usual old way and added one whole red chili to the mix as it was boiling to reach setting point. I don't usually use as much sugar as the books say, 1kg sugar to 1.2 kgs oranges for me, so setting is always a bit hit and miss, but we prefer to have a lot of tangy bitterness and not so much of a taste of sweetness.

The chili may have inhibited the pectin a little or it may just have been the lack of sugar, but I had to boil it quite hard. The hotness doesn't come through except as an added tanginess. It certainly isn't as hot as chili jam and it isn't as sweet either. It isn't orange vindaloo.image

I only used the bog standard small thin red type of chili that you see everywhere. I can imagine one with a smokier taste might be even better.

Edd, I love the sound of your salsa. Why bother with the tofu, just get stuck inimage

Well done - always good to experiment! You might find that the chilli flavour develops over a few days so it might be worth waiting to see.

Failing that you could probably do (if you can face it) a quick reboil & add some more chilli - maybe even a little paprika or chipotle paste for the smokiness? 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

Sounds good. Do you think I ought to warn OH that breakfast is a little different or just let him find out for himself?image

Second Edd's option image

.... wonder what it would be like if you stirred a little into some melted dark chocolate and dropped teaspoonfuls onto baking parchment and allowed it to set.....

Like a posh chocolate orange with a hint of heat - even better with some bits of slivered almonds added - ooh - I might have to have a go image

Would love to hear what it's like - all chocolate banned for the month of January here and a strict calorie counting diet in placeimage

Should never have bought those fancy new scales in the sale.

• Proper sounds good, actually! Sounds kinda asian image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,547

I have found recipes for chilli in chocolate cake and biscuits.  Haven't tried the cake yet but the biscuits were good - 

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1853646/chilli-chocolate-cookies 

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/espresso-chocolate-chilli-cake-coffee-cream

I shall try the cake when I've lost the Xmas blubber............

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mmmmyum, chilli chocolate is amazing. Just belongs together.

Chilli Hot chocolate is even better. SO warming and delicious.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

BitterKnitter I second that imageimage  I recently discovered chilli chocolate vodka drunk as a liqueur it is lovely.