Forum home Talkback

Windy - get your pots secure...

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi folks

Im in the East Midlands and the wind has really got up. 

Just heard an almighty noise. One of my big knee high pots has been blown over and  smashed. Just moved the others in case they go to. Just wanted to post to warn folks in case you have any favourite pots in exposed places.

Hope the greenhouse doesn't blow away!

Hope everyone is safe x

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

How annoying Tootles - expensive too as large pots don't come cheap. image

I've just wired my automatic vent in the greenhouse closed as they tend to flap in very strong winds which can smash the glass, shortly after which the entering wind tends to blow the fixed panes out..

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • This time last year my GH blew in, and we have the same gales tonight and forecast for the weekend. Fingers crossed there's no more damages for anyone! 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,368

I have a mighty ceramic pot that is currently helping to hold up a length of fence panels that have given up over night. It is wrapped in a big puffa jacket of bubble wrap that probably helpedimage

Keep hearing some truly ominous noises outside - all I can see of my own damage is the fence though. Oh and my car from the last lot of windsimage

Hope you guys are okay!

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hope everyone is ok. 

Have just spent 10 minutes chasing the lid from my water butt around the adjacent field!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Been fortunate here, some perspex out of the old GH and a large pot blown sideways, metal bench blown across patio but came to rest against bags of FYM, kale uprooted but didn't much like kalo nero anyway. Looked in our loft expecting to see daylight but okay. 

Neighbours new front fence ripped off and another has lost felt from shed roof. Wheelie bins galore. 

Sadly I think this is going to be a busy thread over the next few days. 

Good advice Bob.

Glad you got your morning exercise Tootles image

Soz about your fence Vic, and car image

NGCARDS hope GH okay this time. 

Thanks KEFimage

I'm in a 'worse things happen at sea' mood at the momentimage

• Thanks KEF, so far it's still standing, touch wood I can say the same when I get home from work later :/
    I've had a few empty and planted pots blown around but nothing too drastic so far ...

Apart from the blue bin also blowing over last night resulting in me chasing rubbish around the cul-de-sac as we randomly had a collection this morning.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,217

Not had any damage YET to the greenhouse, not had a proper sleep for last few days. just lie awaking in bed hoping i still got a GH knowing there nothing i can do if something does happen

Just dug up my border so the fence dude has room to work. He can just put in more posts rather than replace the fence which does save alot of faff.

Can't find all the new geraniums I put in and I'm not sure which I've dug up - shame as I spent a bit of time planning which colour would sit next to whichimage

I was surprised to see how small the tayberry roots were until I went back to tidy up and found the other half image

Just got to find a home for a virburnum bod which is too big for a pot and lots of verbena b's, oh and label all the pots while I remember what's in them!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

The greenhouse door which is on a runner has been lifted out twice. Fixed it now and using a support to stop it happening again.

Lost only 1 terracotta pot so far which costs like £1

Luckily for me I can pile all containers up against the house so they never blow over.  =)