Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog Rescue

Here are some photos of an adult male hedgehog that we rescued 5 days ago who we found eating bird seed under our bird feeder in broad daylight.
I knew he should be hibernating and that any hedgehog seen during the day is in trouble, especially during hibernation. We took him to Rochdale Hedgehog rescue who checked him over, injected him against various nasty diseases and declared him fit but underweight. He had been searching for food, hence the break in hibernation. If we hadn't recovered him he would have died.

We agreed to over winter him in our greenhouse.

He ate lots of cat food, dried meal worms and sunflower hearts over a period of 3 days. We have the loan of a puppy cage from a kind neighbour and lots of old newspapers appeared in our porch!
He amused us by falling asleep in his food bowl, and his water bowl, and once with his snout positioned in the food bowl!
On the third day we had the idea of using an old plastic sweet jar as a sleeping place for him. We put shredded paper in there and within an hour he had curled up to sleep - in fact he decided to hibernate and hasn't moved since! He has water and dried mealworms awaiting his awakening which may happen in 5 days/10 days or at the start of Spring.

We are happy that we have saved him, he is safe where he is and we will let him free when the warm weather returns.

It's such a privilege to be able to help this animal whose species is now uncommon. It's also rewarding to know that I have a garden suitable for hedgehogs.

Have other forum members been through this experience?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,129

How lovely - we found a substantial hedgehog (now known to us as Hefty) hibernating in our garden when doing some clearing just after moving here - we put him in a safe and sheltered place and he completed his hibernation. 

That was three years ago - we've seen him and some of his friends regularly since in our garden, and I think that this winter he's hibernating in a heap of runner bean haulms  which are almost covered by the upturned wheelbarrow! 

As soon as he reappears in the spring we put fresh water and food out every evening - your description of your hedgehog falling asleep in his supper is something Hefty does most evenings on the terrace just outside our dining room door! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Aww this was lovely to read, unfortunately we don't really get Hedgehogs in our garden, I do worry about them though and like to keep an eye out 'just in case' image 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I disturbed one in the autumn clearing up years worth of leaves behind a shed in the front garden. Put him in the back garden where there are plenty of places for hedgehogs. Saw him out feeding at night for a few weeks after and he seemed to be getting on with the others OK. image

• I am loving these hedgehog stories! Last year a regularly fed one that frequented my garden, on a couple of occasions a baby one came in my garden too.  I made a hedgehog house and something has definatley made it their home for the winter - I do hope its a hedgehog!

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

I am still feeding our hedgehogs here in Greater London/Essex. Food doesn't go for a few days sometimes and then is taken. Haven't seen one in the flesh for a while but they do leave 'calling cards' so I know that it is a hedgehog eating the food.  image

• We are still seeing Bob most nights, he and the dog just ignore each other!

Maximus, who I brought home from work still rocks up some nights too.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

what a lovely tale Lancashire! So cute! Please keep us posted on how he gets on. Just lovely.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

Lancashire Lass, that was marvellous to read, and all credit to you.... best wishes,

• I will keep people posted. Not much to report currently as, despite strong gales here last night, hog just slept through it all!

I found a hoglet about 3 years ago, in Autumn, again wandering around during the day looking for food (and his Mum I think). I managed to get him to a rescue centre for the Winter. It's certainly worth keeping an eye out for them in case they are in trouble. When I took my current hog to the centre Sue there told me that if they are out during the day they are looking for food and are probably too hungry to hibernate. But in Winter their natural food sources just aren't available so they need to be recovered and fed up. She indicated that he might have a chance if I just got him up to weight and let him go, but was then delighted when we told her we'd keep him safe until the warm weather.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

What a lovely story Lancs image