propogating sphagnum moss

not strictly wildlife related but I've finally got around to watch Monty on his small gardens programme and he did something that I'd never tried with moss.

he stuck it in a blender to propagate it? now most gardeners want rid of moss, I'd like to propagate sphagnum moss for my carnivorous plants and woodland floor moss species for my bonsai's.

has anyone tried this technique in the past? does it actually work?

• I was interested in this too, as I have a stone sett path that would benefit from some moss in all the joins - that would help keep the grass out too. I'm not quite sure which bit of it grows, but sphagnum could be different a there is a lot more 'top' in relation to 'bottom' if you see what I mean. Sphagnum is the one that I don't need to propagate as I have my own bit of peat bog and just put my wellies on and pull out a few handfuls if I need some - it's the only thing that grows there apart from rushes!

Some mosses are really lovely when you look closely: there's a pretty, tall one that we call star moss and some gorgeous velvety ones growing on damp walls that have bright yellow or reddish spore capsules standing up all over them. I'd like more of both of those. Worth a try anyway.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,423

Based on New Zealand but no less interesting for that

http://www.moutere.com/sphagnum-facts

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Seems worth a go though if one has an empty propagator. I always liked hanging baskets with sphagnum moss, but stopped using it years and years ago because I got concerned about where it was being collected from.