Forum home Tools and techniques

long handled tree loppers

Can anyone recommend some long handled tree loppers? It's not ideal for me to be climbing a ladder to prune the pear tree but it really needs doing.

Thank you! 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,639

We have had a pair, similar to these for years, the only problem now seems to be that the pull cord is made of nylon, ours was a steel one which has never broken. Having said that, they are not that expensive, this one is on at a sale price, but they do work well and are definitely worth having. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-UK-Limited-115350-Universal/dp/B001U2VIMG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1420789367&sr=8-12&keywords=long+handled+tree+loppers 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,508

Hi Clari - I have some WOLF long handled loppers which reach to abt 3' and are easy and comfortable to use. They make short work of branches too thick for secateurs  and I am happy using them up a ladder (within reason).

I also have a WOLF lopper which resembles a large pair of secateurs (operated with a nylon cord) and slots onto the end of a universal long pole - reach is about 6'. This is better for the taller stuff. The main disadvantage with this lopper is that I find it top heavy and quite tiring to use - but I would never be able to reach some of the branches I need to tackle without it. The cord can also get tangled in other branches.

Both bits of kit are very sturdy & will cut through branches up to about 1" diameter & are easy to sharpen. I need both - I would always prefer the long handled ones for stuff I can reach - but the pole ones mean I don't need to climb trees or dangle off high ladders.image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Thank you all!

Thanks for the link Edd - can't have been terribly awake when I searched this morning.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,639

The ones I have will reach about 10ft maybe more, depending on how tall you are, and they are absolutely effortless to use, just pull the handle and its done, no squeezing 2 handles together like those extendable handle jobbies.

I cant cut branches with those as I cant get the pressure when holding them above my head.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Lyn that's really useful to know; due to a spinal injury I struggle with any strength the moment I put my arms above my shoulders.