Forum home Talkback

Tree Peony

We moved house last June and our garden has a large Tree Peony at the top.  In the autumn it produced loads of seed pods - like large pea pods.  These matured, opened and had loads of dark bean seeds inside.  We removed them all as I thought it likely that they would be poisonous should our dog decide to taste them.  Any suggestions as to what to do with them next year?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

Sow them and grow some moreimage

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Save them for seed swap ,please  put my name on one image. Pretty pleaseimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

They need sowing fresh so put them on when the pods openimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Except for the very deadlies most pets do not attempt to eat plant seeds. You have to watch out for things like slug pellets and rat poison though.

There are far more poisonous things in the garden than you might imagine but usually they cause no harm.
  • Thanks for the feedback.  As of this year i.e. autumn, I'll plant up a selection and then advise folk so they can request one.  Problem with seeds from plants is that once they are not on the plant they can become more palatable - my horse died through eating seed pods from Broom that had been cut from the plant and not burned!  So I'm a bit paranoid now.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Beaus mum ,

Have pm  nd you,