Forum home Talkback

Britain's best gardens / Britain's garden revival

Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,473

Some I love, some I hated. I'd love to hear what you thought

Devon.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,473

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and probably be shot right down: but here we go. Garden Revival: Old roses. some are divine, but I visited Morrisfont in August and it was a barren wasteland. My  conclusion was , only if you enough room to include repeat flowerers.

The last rose garden, I think in Norfolk, if you look at the close ups, the blooms are covered in bindweed.

Joe Swift, for whom I have huge respect mixed up Virginia Creeper ( parthenocissus quinquifolia) , with Boston Ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata vietchii)

Britain's best gardens, No 1 I'd say needed to lose about 60% of the plants and let the others show their beauty.

Shoot me now.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,083

I haven't had time to watch it yet so can't comment except to say I've never understood why you would grow 90% of the old fashioned, once flowering roses when there are so many beautifully perfumed repeat flowering, disease resistant roses with stunning flowers available now or, if you really must have the old kind, why you wouldn't fling a summer flowering clematis up the climbing sorts to spread the season of interest.

Don't like Joe Swift.  He's not a plantsman and even when he does have something interesting to say about design he does it in that dreadful mockney accent.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,473

Joe Swift lives in Hackney, maybe that has something to do with it??

Devon.
  • SFordSFord Posts: 224

I have recorded Garden Revival and will only watch the subjects I am interested in.

With regard to Best Back Gardens, okay programme and quite enjoyed it.  However I have already seen articles or programme segments on at least two/three of the gardens shown in this week's programme alone.  I'm not saying I particularly liked or disliked those particular gardens but it would have been nice to see gardens that have not already been published or filmed before. 

Ones seen before - the pub hanging garden (I think it was featured on a previous year's Chelsea programme on BBC1), ditto the lady with the roof garden (BBC1 Chelsea again) and the couple who spent a large amount of money on a garden designer for their garden (I think featured in either Gardens Illustrated or The English Garden magazine).  I am sure sure that I have seen the competition veg growers at some point too.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

I have recorded the series and watch when I like , last night watched the one on Daffadils and blossom , which I enjoyed watching with the rain lashing down outside !

Like any series on TV , some bits you like and some you don'timage

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,843

Sford, I havent seen the programmes yet but I remember the pub and the roof garden, can't say where from though.  Definitely agree about the roses, no need at all to grow old troublesome varieties when such good substitutes are now available.  I love the look and smell of old rose varieties so go for David Austin roses which have all the best bits of old english roses but none of the bad.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

I agree Yviestevie about David Austin roses.  I didn't grow roses until a couple of years ago - I have Gertrude Jekyll growing as a climber against a fence and am training it in an arch shape over a seating area and also have Princess Anne in my front garden in the borders. 

Both are really easy to care for. I have muddled through the pruning with no major problems.  Both smell amazing and the Gertrude Jekyll flowered right through to mid December.  Princess Anne flowered early-mid summer then finished and then started again in October through to end of November.

I did try a couple in pots (Queen of Sweden and another I can't remember) but with the wet weather we had for a few summers I got very few blooms as the buds kept balling.  I dont have a large garden and every plant has got to earn their place, so after giving them a few years chance, they had to go.  I now have two Agapanthas in their place (cant remember the name but they are a deep, deep blue with very large flowers).

Am definately not complaining (ahtough OH is grumbling a bit)!  Plan to get out in the potting shed for a 'potter'(!) and a tidy at the weekend.  I am also getting itchy fingers too

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,843

I have a Gertrude which I had to move last year and it seems fine now, new shoots appearing, Also have two Mortimer Sackler (hence my avatar) Molyneux (spelling) Golden Beauty, Pauls Noel, Rosy Cushion and Munstead Wood.  I have a small garden but cant resist roses.  The old varieties wouldnt do well in such a crowded space but the DA ones thrive. 

Love Agapanthas too have a few of thos but can only remember the name of the latest edition which is Snow Storm (I think).  It was new last year so I'm waiting to see if it reflowers.  I think a lot of people grow them in pots as they like their roots to be crowded, didn't realise this at the time so put mine in the garden, so will have to wait and see.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands