Bringing a bland wall to life

I life in a ground floor flat which has a nice little garden - but the view out of the one main window is of a freg breeze block wall.

I got the idea in my head to sort of try and make the wall a living wall - cover it in wallflowers and all theat sort of stuff

thing is I have never really done any gardening before so was looking for some ideas or suggestions as to how to begin - what flower types etc

any ideas thrwon my way would be welcome

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,473

What direction does the wall face that you want to cover face? north south, east or west?

I would look at climbers to clothe it. Just which climbers depend on the aspect.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • sort of south west I would conclude

the sun arcs over the house from the east in the morning

and would be shining onto that wall in the afternoon

assuming of course that it is not raining like it is right nowimage

• Bit difficult to see whether you have a soil border against your breeze block wall.

If you don't have a border or it is so minimal, why not use wall troughs ?  Fixings should be easy and safe in the blocks and you can grow quite a lot with a south west aspect. 

Fruit, such as strawberries or herbs or annuals.  If you are prepared to re plant your troughs ever 2 or 3 years, you can plant a semi permanent arrangement with perennials too. 

Decent troughs and supports and the wall is your oyster so to speakimage

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

You can hang all sorts of different pots and troughsand hanging baskets on brackets in which you can grow plants in summer - any traditional hanging basket plant would work so you can ring the changes each year with upright and trailing pelargonimus and petunias and so on and violas in spring and autumn.  

You could also hang ornaments such as metal lizards, lady birds or whatever you like and find at garden centres or car boots..  I have a metal framed mirror on my back wall.

You could attach a large panel of painted trellis to two battens scerwed to the wall in order to cover more of it and then either plant something to climb up it or use it as a backdrop for hanging pots as above.,

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

You could paint it and have a thin line of trellis centred horizontally on the wall and then your climbers - roses, clematis, honeysuckle would have something to scrabble around, and some shrubs, eg pyracantha could be tied in place to the trellis. You could even have an espallier fruit tree against it too.

The middle picture, is it a different wall? This would be ideal for planting alpines/sempervivums in the gaps as they need minimal soil and look after themselves.

• Mirrors in the garden........best avoided.....confuses the birds. There were some "Garden Designers" who promoted the use of mirrors in the bad old days....that idea should have been put to bed years ago. Hopefully no one is advocating that use these daysimage

My mirror is small and decorative and next to a door and doesn't confuse the birds at all whereas they do fly into the French windows.

The OP's wall looks like it's close to the house and is unlkely to have birds flying at it but it does need breaking up and disguising with either plants or artefacts or both.   I took the picture below at Malvern Show one year - full of goodies for disguising a plain wall and for growing plants on a wall with no soil at the base.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hate to be a grouch but if the wall shown above was a serious idea at the Malvern Show, then perhaps the organisers need to have a serious re-think about things.  It looks absolutely dreadful.  Some of the individual pieces are probably quite attractive but as displayed ???

Mirror or not, I much prefer your wall Obelixx image 

I agree Philippa but the idea of decorating a wall rather than covering it is not at all bad if done with flair.

• Obelixx...........I'd wholeheartedly agree with that.  Done with some awareness of the environment you are working in,  it can enhance.  I was just shocked that Malvern would even countenance let alone advertise such a horrorimage