Forum home Talkback

HELLEBORES

i have several hellebores and although well established and flowering every year the leaves seem to go brown and yuk and they seem to be in the wrong place.

i would like to move them into a more sunny position.  

i know now is not the right time to move them but does anybody know when is a good time to move them.  i want to move them so they are all together in a group

Maggieimage

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,894

The optimum time for moving Hellebores is in early Autumn. They begin to make new roots as the soil gets cooler.

You can get away with doing it now, as long as you can get the whole root ball out with as little damage as possible. Water well before and after moving.

Also helps to remove and dead or dying leaves, especially if they are going brown.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,894

If they are the Oriental type of hellebore, I would remove all the leaves in late autumn. Firstly this is because it shows off the flowers better, and secondly, because the leaves usually develop fungal leaf spot and look terrible.

Hellebores don't need too much sun, so maybe they don't need moving.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

What, pray tell, is a fungal headache?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • thank you everybody for all your help with regard to hellebores and also black spot and aspirin.  

while i am here i don`t suppose anybody knows of unusual red hot pokers do they.  my hubby has the usual kind.  they have to be in pots because our garden is at the bottom of a field and floods and slugs are a problem also.  they thrive quite well in pots.

maggie