Forum home The potting shed

Manuka honey

Is anyone else taking this? If so what benefits have you seen. What  and where is the cheapest you have paid for?

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

There is quite a lot of fake Manuka honey around, world consumption exceeds production by a long way, no idea how you can tell.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,556

This may be of interest http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-manuka-honey-scandal-9577344.html

We use locally produced honey and support our local bees image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thanks for that. My wife was prescribed it to boast her immune system. She got hers from a local health food shop.

Thanks for that link dove, very informative.

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 553

Thanks Dove .... us local beekeepers do appreciate the loyal support from our local customers.

Beekeeping is a fascinating (but expensive) hobby. For most beekeepers the income from honey sales barely covers costs ....  but that isn't why we do it.

I've read some articles that suggest manuka is not more beneficial for health than good quality local honey .... just had better marketing! Personally, I don't like the TCP after-taste of manuka .... but some people love it.

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    My had Manuka dressings, at my insistence, the care he were amazed at the results I tenses it to a tree surgeon who now swear bu it's healing

I am afraid I only have experience of true

Manila from N Z I also never take anything under 15
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Manuka has proven qualities in wound healing, there is a lot of fakery out there though.

My new year resolution is to check before I post!

It was my "dad" who had the dressings and the care home who were surprised

Sorry
    A A Milne
  • I merely thought you had imbibed a tad of gin!

No such luck. This is the first night of abstinence

for so long I am probably half pickled without the mothers ruin!
    A A Milne
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,357

I had an elderly client ( mid 80s) and she had an abscess on her leg for over a year, doc tried everything, she used Manuka in a dressing, thinking she had nothing to lose , and it cleared it up. 

Devon.