Forum home The potting shed

hollowed out log

Hellow everyone and happy new year.  Can  anyone advise me on what flowering plants I can put in an hollowed out log  As a garden feature ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,135

Hi Michael

What is it, how big is it, what's its capacity and will it be in sun or shade?

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

Whatever you choose, I would love to see a picture when it is done.

I've been thinking a lot recently about log piles in wildlife gardens and the Victorian 'stumperys', I'm sure there is some inspiration to be had from the stumpery in contemporary wildlife gardens.

My immediate thoughts would be to go with woodland plants like ferns and wood anemone, but there are much more knowledgeable plants people on here than me. image

• My thoughts too Gemmaimage 

• Ooops....sorry Michael.......a Happy New Year to you tooimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Are you sure you want plants in it?  I've seen some lovely ones in the park used to put seed in for ground feeding birdsimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,383

I have a hollowed out log that I planted with alpines.  Firstly I drilled holes in the bottom and also burnt the inside with a blow torch.  I then lined the log with plastic allowing plenty of holes at the bottom for drainage and used a light alpine mix.  A picture is attached

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • EHiya all thank you for all your replies.  The log in question is ash from a tree surgeon friend 18 inch across and 3ft in length so well seasoned. I have all the tools drills hole saws a correct wood chisels and most of all time. Thinking of making the hollow 2ft by 10 inches and about 10 inches deep then scorching with a blow torch inside. Not putting any drainage hole's in at this point if it doesn't work as a planter I can use it for a canoe.but just wondering what plants would look nice (location semi shade)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,557

Yviestevie, your garden is just lovely, so romantic.

I think location semi shade has more importance for the planting than the fact that it's a log. But if you do use it as a planter then it will have to have drainage holes or the water will go stagnant and roots will rot.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Burn the inside to stop it rotting