Forum home Talkback

Biodynamic Gardening

2»

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,008

Going to start adding Biodynamic gardening Calender methods to Gardening by the Moon thread as from Monday 16th, together with explanations as to why and how it works. Seems easier than running two threads.

Started the explanations of Biodynamics this morning on the Gardening by the Moon Thread for those interested in reading more and collating it with a Weekly Calender.

• It's great how gardeners get so much pleasure and success with such wildly different methods. Even the lunatics!

I am with Hostafun, no dig is the best for clay!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543

I think no dig is appelaing on any soil - once you've extracted the roots of pernicious weeds and as long as you can give a generous mulch every year, preferably in autumn so the worms do the work over winter.

The only digging I do now is new planting holes for roses and shrubs.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I do fork everything over and rake, but the days of 'double digging' and evn to an extent ordinary digging are over I think. Now I mulch far more and use heaps and heaps of lawnmowings mixed with spent compost that I turn with a fork regularly. Works absolute wonders and NO back ache!! Also seems to attract far more worms.

• I read an article on bio dynamics and have to admit that it seemed ridiculous to me however thinking about the tides and the effect that the moon does have on the earth I started to think that it may have some truth in it. That was until I started to read about composting and the way that you have to add certain plants in the correct order for it to work and then the way that you make cow horn manure it all started to look completely cuckoo again.

I think that there is a lot of 'off the wall' stuff, particularly on the American Websites. The German & Swiss methods are far more user friendly. The French say that Biodynamics is simply using Organic Methods using Natural Forces which takes one straight to good systematic composting. Care of good worm count and Companion Planting. All of which I think most of us practice anyway. In France vegetables are also planted much closer together so it is essential that the soil is well maintained, the idea is to leave no bare soil at all at any time of the year, and also they favour the 'no digging' system. Just keep topping ground up with compost/lawn mowings/wood ash and matured manure. Put like this it is very sensible and labour saving. One way of looking at the Moon bit, is quite rightly that we know it affects the tides - this backs up the theory that it controls the rise and fall of water levels in the ground at set times. certainly it was uncanny that the dates for sowing /sprouting and dates for transplanting the same plants worked out.