Forum home Talkback

Biodynamic Gardening

I have received a Biodynamic Gardening Calender and Diary for 2015. Already Organic, it seems to be a good way forward. Has anyone else tried it. Interested in sharing experiences. All seems very complicated though.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,169

I did this one year after buying a Belgian magazine with a lunar calendar included and had the best results ever for germination and cropping.   I also found I was more  organised and gardened more efficiently as I would stick to root/flower/foliage/fruit tasks instead of flitting from one job to another as they caught my eye around the garden.

Haven't seen the magazine since but there's a website - http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/moon_planting.asp that gives the days and also a poster on here who posts weekly guides to jobs using her local French calendar which is a bit more precise.   Can't find the link unfortunately.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 806

Yes t'is me! Having proved that the moon method works and having read BioD Calender and accompanying booklet this morning, it does all seem similar to the Lunar Calender Gardening but taking into account stages of moon's path through the constellations. Holding down a 'real' job and getting to grips with this leaves me sticking with the Lunar Method as it refers to that all the time. I am tempted though particularly as obelixx has had success. I would love Gardeners World to run a piece on both methods - Perhaps we should ask for a series of articles????

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,556

You cant get them these days Edd.

The thing that would make me most frustrated with gardening by the moon method would be that today you must sow seeds, so you would be inside, then tomorrow you can weed, only to find today fantastic sunshine and tomorrow hissing down with rain.

Today I am roasting beef but I cant pick veg till three days time.

How do you make it work or do you cheat and swap jobs around to suit the weather.

I need to work a bit everyday in my garden or it would take over and get out of control.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'm sure GW did run some sort of lunar comparison a couple of years back. The results, as i remember them, were mixed: winners and losers on both sides.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'd be interested in some " no dig gardening " comparisons. Here on very heavy clay , the whole notion of "no dig" appeals greatly

Devon.

Lyn - You don't have one day for sowing seeds, you have days for sowing particular seeds according to whether the plant produces flowers, roots, foliage or fruits and there's nothing to stop you taking your compost and trays and pots outside to sow.  You can also harvest when you like but there are some days which are better if you're planning to store it.

Hostafan, no dig is a proven method of working.  You just need to make sure you bung ample amounts of compost or well rotted manure on your beds in autumn and winter and then sow or plant through it in spring.  I have friends who began a new garden in heavy clay after clearing dead trees and scrub and brambles 6 years ago using this system and they have stunning results.  The only digging they did was an initial turning of each new bed to remove weeds and roots - http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Obelixx_be/library/140701%20Ginny%20and%20Jon?sort=2&page=1 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Just felt that I had to write and say that I picked up my Lunar Calender 2015 today and there is a brilliant article on Bio dynamic Gardening methods, which makes the whole thing so easy and down to earth. Not weird at all and incredibly likely to succeed. If anyone is interested I can explain the basic principals. Definately giving it a go now as ties in beautifully with Lunar Gardening.

Just finished wading through my Mother's gardening notes that she made in the late 60's/70's when she belonged to a Biodynamic Steiner Group in Sussex - comparing her comments with the French and British Calenders & Guides - It all seems to gel. Just getting my brain into gear to set it down here!

• Im a convert, not a scooby how it works, but did it when i had my allotments with really good results image

My book says the 6th of feb for "root" sowing, is that right biofreak? image

This link simplifies things a little - http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/moon_planting.asp  and the calendar is updated online for easy reference.  In busy periods with limited time available this helps me choose jobs to prioritise.