Recommendation for extendable loppers

I need to get some new extendable loppers, as I use mine all the time.  I had a pair oh Bahco ones and they bent, so obviously need something a bit more sturdy. 

Are you able to recommend any, what do you all use ?

Any recommendations gratefully received. 

thank you. 

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

also would you recommend bypass or anvil ? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,098

Anvil have the irritating habit of sliding off the branch before you can cut it, leaving you swaying around with nothing to grip onto. Bypass have the irritating habit of getting their jaws wedged round a half chopped branch leaving you swaying around and tugging at the thing like a demented terrier with a bone.

Take your pick of ungainly poses.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

get extendable bypass ratchet loppers, they won't get jammed shut

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,690

Have a look here for some advice http://www.fredshed.co.uk/gardening.htm

I got the Wolf Telescopic bypass loppers a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Any type of tool has its limitations, at which point you have to move up to the next level, eg. pruning saw or small bow-saw instead of loppers or secateurs.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,098

Are they the ones with a sort of tube that slides up and down over the pole, Pete?

I don't have enough upper body strength to hold the pole with one hand and pull the tube downwards (it has to slide for quite a way) at the same time. I end up extending the pole fully and then resting the lower end of it on something solid and then pulling the tube down with both hands.

But then I am an ancient of the female line -  a shadow of myself really.

Maybe Peanuts could ask for a trial shot in the shop?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,690

Yup - that's the type pf

I've managed to cut through some branches quite bigger than I should with them. My usual pose for this procedure is to have 1 handle resting across my chest, then I pull like ********* with both hands on the other handle. The poles do 'flex' a little. image

I have a pair of fairly old anvil type loppers too - I use these for dead stuff and chopping up for the bonfire

For bigger/higher branches I've got a Wolf extendable 'pole' into which different heads are inserted. e.g. pruning saw, or bypass loppers on a string/pulley arrangement which reaches 10-12ft. Works well but need good gloves as the cord can really hurt when wrapped around the hand and pulled

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I do tend to have the problem of "oh this can get through that branch..."  I like the idea of ratchet loppers and maybe I need to invest in a pruning saw too. image 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,492

Even ratchet loppers can jam, and when they do it's a b***** of a job to get them free again.  To be fair, they don't jam very often.