Forum home Problem solving

How to stop Ash!

Ok so I am completely new to gardening! I have NO IDEA! I have a large garden which is running a mock with weeds…… although some of the weeds look like flowers which is rather annoying! I go for the "if in doubt rip it out" rule! I have found that i cannot rip ash weeds out, even the skinny ones are stuck solid. Do I use weed killer? or can i cut them ou?t Some have stuck themselves to the cracks in walls or next to the house so difficult to dig out! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,248

Ash seedlings are incredibly tenacious little things. We have the same problem. If you can hoe the ground, they will die. If you loosen the earth with a fork, they are easier to pull up. If they are in a crack, you can cut them off at ground level with secateurs or a sharp knife and they won't regrow.

But if you can keep a few alive in a quiet corner it may be a good idea. Ash dieback is marching across the country and scientists are hoping that some tres will appear that have some resistance to it. You may be lucky to have one of those in your forst of unwanted offspring.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I would resort to the chemical route for this particular problem i.e. apply Glyphosate with a paint brush to the leaves of each individual sapling.

Having said that, this will have to wait until spring, as it will be ineffective until the sap begins to rise. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

The most effective way I've found is to cut the stem to about an inch long, split it, then paint on Roundup Tree Stump and Root Killer. Single application works every time. I too would wait until spring when the ash isn't dormant. It is about the only time I resort to chemicals but used it effectively to totally remove an old hedge full of brambles, privet and greengage suckers.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I have a large self-seeded Ash tree overhanging my very small garden.  There are a dozen more rising through the hedge which goes the other way to my garden (thank goodness).  I have had no difficulty removing seedlings (probably several million) as long as I get 'em soon enough. The main problem is their amazing ability to look like the plants they are growing through for long enough to get established!!!  20 years of keeping an eye out has greatly improved the situation but this (last) year there were no seeds, not a single one.  I feel quite bereft as finding and removing them was a good way of working off certain grievances

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

We have two large ash trees at the end of our garden - we've found the best way to get rid of ash seedlings is to attack them with a sharp hoe as soon as they appear - you do have to be vigilant! 

Interesting to note that our trees didn't produce any seeds at all in 2014 either!  I think they were having a rest as the previous year there'd been a heavy crop.

We're keeping our eyes peeled for signs of Ash Dieback - we're literally just down the road from the John Innes Centre where the research is being carried out http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/john_innes_centre_scientist_awarded_british_empire_medal_for_her_work_on_ash_dieback_disease_1_3904046

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you all very much for your help! I am sure I will be able to test all of the methods provided as there are loads of the blighters! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,871

If you can expose  anything below soil level and saw off, or cut with lopper below ground, that will sort them. Also, for the first couple of years, when the soil's wet, loosen the soil with a fork/spade and pull at the same time. 

• For the record and because Shropshire Roses is new to gardening, Roundup & Roundup Tree Stump and Root Killer is Glyphosate. image

• David K, that is handy I've cleared a patch and found a shed load of snow drop shoots under a load of moss….. at least i think they are going to be snow drops! First day gardening went well! I am sure I will have plenty more questions! image

• Shropshire Rose.....this forum sometimes has its ups & downs, but it is consistent with its eagerness to help others, particularly those new to gardening.

I would add that it's very important not to allow weeds to develop seed. There's an old gardener's saying 'one years seed, five year's weed' and this is very true.