Forum home Talkback

plum tree or pear tree?!

We have a hawthorn tree which is about ten years old in the corner of quite a dark area of the garden. Hoping to plant a fruit tree in it's place... want any advice about the best time to plantand the best conditions or results with either plum or pear tree. Which conditions are preferred for either and for an amateur with fruit trees to care for??

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

1. Which fruit do you prefer?

2. Pear trees need warmer climates generally.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

I agree, pear trees can be rather picky and are prone to disease so I would opt for a plum.  One of the best is 'Victoria' which would be quite appropriate for you, Victoria! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,213

I would say plums are easier too - we have a couple of each and the plums have definitely taken off quicker.  We get loads of fruit from our Victoria.  However, the small number of pears we have had are a special treat straight from the treeimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • need to be aware that Victoria plums seem to ripen simultaneously, so you get the whole crop in the space of a couple of weeks - they are also very attractive to wasps so you may find them filled with wasps as you go to pick them - and covered  wasps if they have fallen to the ground.  We had to remove ours, despite the fruit being absolutely delicious, because of the wasp danger near young children.

I would go for a greengage - the most delectable of all plums and almost impossible to find in the shops in England.

I do have a dula pear tree though - williams on one half and doyenne de something on the other - really delicious and juicy,

• Thank you all for the replies. I did wonder about wasps, gardening granny! Unfortunately I really panic when I encounter one so this does put me off. I like the idea of a pear tree since we had one when I was a child. Maybe the pear tree is my best bet, although I wanted something that would fill the gap left by the hawthorn tree pretty quickly and that would brighten up a dull corner with some spring blossom. I guess maybe I need to re think, unless anyone has any other recommendations!?!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

How about a cherry tree? Beautiful flowers and absolutely no chance of any wasp-attracting fruit as the blackbirds will eat everything before it is ripe enough to attract themimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264

And homebase are selling cherry tree's for £10....image

• How about a crab apple? Pretty blossom, pretty fruit, you can choose one that's good for jelly if you're into that sort of thing, or just enjoy looking at them till the birds eat them.

• Cherry tree or crab apple? Hmmm. Maybe need to start a new thread! Thankyou. I'll see which I spot first, but think I'll steer clear of plum or pear! image

• sorry to add another damper - cherry trees have very shallow rooting systems.  I had a spectacular one - beautiful flowers and stunning autumn leaf colour but the roots punctured the lining of the nearby pond, and spread under a grassy area gradually lifting it.  I was devastated when I had to have it cut down and several years later I am still lifting near surface roots.  The upside of its removal is that everything round about now grows healthily.  Crab Apple John Downie is lovely - red and yellow fruits that make an excellent jelly and no root problems.