Forum home Talkback

Cutting Back Hebe

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my Hebe (at least I think it is a Hebe). Having taken on this garden in the summer, I have been on the back foot and this Hebe is now monstrous and taking up quite a large footprint, encroaching onto the step-down from the decking onto the lawn. Is now the time to cut it back and if so, how hard/far can I cut it back? Can I be quite aggressive with it and cut it right back for it to grow back in the spring/summer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

It is a hebe. Do you love it?

The thing about hebes is that they flower at the end of the stems. So there is never a "good" time to prune them but after they have flowered, normally in the summer(!), is usually it.

But the other problem with hebes is that they don't like to be pruned and if you hack this one back it will probably sulk for ages or maybe even die.

So if you don't love it, I'd toss it out and get something smaller.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,572

They don't like a hack back do theyimage

I hard=pruned some that had taken over a path, they did the opposite from Verdun's. They grew really well for the first season then died back a bit at a time

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482

I agree about them hating a hard prune, but if you really wanted to keep it, try cutting a few " branches" hard and leave the rest. If the cut stems rejuvenate, then next season , but back a few more? Just a thought. If they don't rejuvenate, you've still got the original plant.

Devon.