Forum home The potting shed

Primroses/Primulas in borders

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,511

Pretty garden Lyn image

Yes primulas like slightly damp and semi-shady positions - think of them growing wild on hedgebanks and the sides of ditches etc. 

The ones in the churchyard are probably damper than yours (churchyards are usually a bit damp for some reason)  but in a little more sunshine so they're flowering early.  I'm sure yours will flower in due course - I don't really expect primroses until March although of course they delight in proving us wrong image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for all the advice. While on subject of advice, what should I do with Tete a Tete after flowering indoors? I don't have a greenhouse (have small shed) 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397

Tete a tete is a good hardy garden bulb, plant it out

• Alan DAlan D Posts: 55

Dove, I would have thought the land next to the churchyard would normally be ......

Bonedry image....    Loks for coat....

imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes the same thing has happened to mine...they were flowering well before the cold spell but now they are cowering in flattened clumps looking very poorly. In fact most of the garden plants look flattened chewed or have disappeared ...I think RABBIT as when we moved out for Xmas they moved in!  It all looked so neat and tidy before we left and now what a mess ! My enthusiasm has up and left with the plants......do any of you out there feel like this in January ...............?

Sometimes butterfly - but it comes back with the hazel catkins and snowdrops image

• Thanks to everyone.  I will put the Tete a Tete into a container when they have died down as I may be moving in few months. The garden looks very scruffy generally - apart from a type of upright periwinkle (?) with white flowers. It has been in bloom for the past 3 months and really cheers up the garden. It came from a tiny sprig pinched from  a public garden 2 years ago. 

• That's good to know.....thanks Dove !