Forum home The potting shed

Primroses/Primulas in borders

My Primroses and Primulas in the garden border have lots of leaves but hardly a flower. Ones in the local churchyard all have flowers!  My Violas in a small window box (in open porch) also have no flowers. Is this normal for Dec/Jan?  I live near the south coast so quite sheltered. This was the window box in the summer

http://webkit-fake-url://1AA76360-1973-436A-802A-EEE9EC932F5D/imagejpeg

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,269

Sorry Lyn, can't see the pic. 

Are these established plants that have flowered in previous years?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,269

The primulas or the birds?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,820

Are the ones in the churchyard in a sunnier spot?

Or maybe your primroses have been in situ for several years and are a little congested?  If this could be the case I'd split them in the late spring/early summer - primulas really respond well to division image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,504

No flowers on my native primroses yet.  They must love the spot they are in because lots of new plants  have sprung up. I'm hoping for a good show this year.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I've seen flowering primulas in GCs but nothing in gardens yet. Mostly native primrose here and they've got a long way to go before flowering

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,820

We had some natives flowering in November, but none at the moment although the little clump of Wanda-type is full of buds.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,504

Hi Dove, some of mine flowered just before Christmas but I think the cold snap has pulled them back into line.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Thanks guys. They have all flowered before. They are mainly on the shadier side of the garden, (bed L of photo) but it doesn't really get much sun this time of year anyway. The violas in the porch get the most sun as its south facing. They flowered well in the early summer (see pic)

I then went on holiday and neighbour didn't dead head so hardly a flower since.  The back garden (very tiny) doesn't get birds - I feed them at the front. They don't go on the windowsill where the violas are. Some of the aforementioned primroses were moved to the shadier side in the summer as I was led to believe they prefer shade. The churchyard is an open space so I suppose it gets sun when there is any.