Forum home Talkback

Plum tree problem

GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

Hello everybody I have a problem with a Plum tree at my allottment , see picture

Once I cleared Artichokes and cosmos I noticed the plum tree had an extra growth from the bottom like suckers ? 

Any advise ? Thought about  cutting off ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

Yes, I'd take that out - I'd scrape the soil from around the base so that you can get at it and then either pull it off with a downwards motion to rip out the growth point, orcut it off flush with the trunk. 

Not sure about when to do it because of Silverleaf disease.  I think that as the infection is airborne it ought to be ok to do it now if you re-cover the area with soil immediately after removing the sucker - but others may have other thoughts.

If you can, try to avoid cultivating around the root area in future as this will encourage suckering.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,203
    Classic silverleaf advice is to prune in midsummer - but like Dove, I would not think it applies to a wound that is below soil level. Maybe google silverleaf to find out a bit more ?
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

Hello thanks for the info , never heard of Silverleaf , so have been reading about it 

I think as the cut is below soil level it will be OK 

The suckers will have to come off , not sure if to paint the wound or not , some sites say yes and some no ?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

Silverleaf disease is the reason why stone fruits (plums, apricots etc) should be pruned in midsummer rather than the winter - the theory being that the rising sap helps prevent the disease being drawn into the wound.

Current thinking is not to paint pruning wounds as the substance painted on can harbour pests and disease.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,155

I've never paint when cutting off suckers, but I usually cut them off in summer. They can be a nuisance and pop up some way from the trunk on shallow roots, but then my trees are all quite old now.

Dordogne and Norfolk