Forum home The potting shed

Birds nesting

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,852

Today I was just musing on whether the days did look and feel a little longer and wondering if it was just a case of the snow making the air look brighter when I was buzzed by a collared dove carrying nesting material into the horrible old cupressus tree next door.

Obviously someone thinks that spring is in the air.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Our Collared Doves have been ..........erm............how shall I put this.......ACTIVE on the TV aerial for a couple of weeks now and House Sparrows are also busily collecting nest material. image

Just hope they are better forecasters than the Met office.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,556

It must be something in the air - our collared doves' behaviour has been embarassing this afternoon - and on our neighbour's roof too!!!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

And they have been 'at it' round this way too and on the roof tops and in broad daylight!!

• It's blue tits in our garden in the south. Much too early really although it's good to see the nesting boxes being used finally.

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 778

Apparently collared doves will breed all year round if weather and food supplies are good  image

• Red mapleRed maple Posts: 177

Yes, that's right. Collared doves will breed all year round. I saw a male blackbird pursuing a female blackbird yesterday, but she was having none of it!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,852

Runny - tits like coconutsimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,975

RB, you are naughty image I didnt know where to look, Spring in the air in your household as well.

Our Doves are at it as well. Both male and female blackbirds in the garden but nothing in that department as yet.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.