Forum home Talkback

Lawn

SHJ3SHJ3 Posts: 4

My lawn is bubbling up and the roots don't seem to be going down into the earth.  I had lots of moss but have used a scarifier and moss treatment but it is not getting any better.  I have Ash trees (the councils) outside the fence would this have anything to do with it?  Help!! please

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

Could you let us see a photo of your interestingly bubbly lawn?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SHJ3SHJ3 Posts: 4

Wlll post as soon as possble, away from home at the moment.

Bubbly lawn is the only way I can describe it, it is extremely soft like walking on a 4 inch thick foam.  There appear to be tunnels under the surface but no mole mounds or anything anywhere.  Impossible to mow but nice to walk on. !!!

That patch on the right looks very mole-like to me. Do you have voles?

Moles or voles or both.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

As well as mole hills my resident moles make very superficial tunnels that disturb the surface of the ground, your description sounds right

• I had tunnels just below the surface of my lawn- made interesting patterns wiggling all over it where the grass above died in the summer due to the roots being disturbed I imagine. I was told by a friend it was probably voles or rats but didn't find any other evidence of either. 

If you poke a finger down inside that mini mole hill you might find a tunnel, about an inch and a half in diameter, going under it.

Thanks for all the replies. If it is voles can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of them please?

Aw, voles are so cute. If you see one you will be smitten.image