Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

seed pellets

Hi only been growing seeds 3 years just asking about seed pellets finding them expensive and where to buy them.does anyone else sell them in bulk other than wounder soil or jiffy..thanks for your help..

• Hi Phil image

I take it you mean these http://www.jiffypot.com/en/products/jiffy7.html

I don't use them - I prefer to sow small seeds into a seed tray and then prick out into small pots or plastic trays like this http://www.plantpotsdirect.com/plant-trays/seed-tray-insert-40.html

For larger seeds I sow two seeds into the individual cells of a plastic tray or into small peat pots which then get planted out into the ground.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks for that..have used trays so far but as I sow over 500 seeds..thinking these pellets will be less time..but its looking like back to seed compost..and trays...

• Anyone know where I can buy them in bulk.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Seed pellets are an expensive way of buying seeds. If you want to sow thinly in the greenhouse put the seeds on a saucer and just slide as many seeds as you need into the soil with your finger or thumb. It may seem a bit laborious but it will save loads of time when pricking out or thinning..
  • Maybe ive not said what I mean to well..think they are peat pellets you put the seed into..not with seed in..thanks anyway..

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You mean the little flat things you water and they expand?

I have never used them, I have good success with seed compost and trays.

If I ever buy a plant in one of those, I always rip the netting off it, I dont like them.

I suppose if you grow certain plants that need growing in peat they would be ok.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Ebay's probably your best bet but you've probably already tried there. 

I've not used them but know someone who has and produced some really healthy looking seedlings.