Forum home Wildlife gardening

getting ready for the great Garden Bird Watch

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

The reed buntings turned up today,image

I thought they'd deserted me

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,323

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Mealworms.............  I soak 'em for about 10 minutes to soften them before feeding them to the boidies. Not so scratchy on their little throats. A  bit of delayed satisfaction doesn't do any harm. Q. Why don't birds legs and feet get cold as we know it ? Something to do with blood circulation I believe.

Many bird legs are covered with a rough, scaly skin that limits heat loss, not to mention the legs and feet often have an incredibly small surface area compared to the rest of their bodies, severely limiting the amount of skin actually exposed to the cold. 

Any discussion on this will be welcomed.

Very scientific and thoroughly impressive. Personally, I would've nipped down the local market and got a feather duvet and wrapped it around me lallies. But ther we go. I ain't got scaly legs, even after empatigo as a child ! Jeeze, but I was a scabby little lad ! Had legs like a sparrow, too !

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,656

Just seen the Great Garden Bird watch advertised on the telly - pretty sure that has never happened before - and this was a proper advert, not just a mention on a gardening prog or the one showimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,975

Well, I hope they've improved their website then - it couldn't cope with the traffic last year - heaven knows what attention a tv advert will bring image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Lots of sparrows, yellow tits, collared doves and blackbirds here. Gorgeous to see from the kitchen window.

Collared doves are slowly working their way oop north, year by year. By the end of the century , they should be on Orrkney and Shetland as resident birds !

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,975

Just been on a trip to Homebase for decorator's dust sheets, so I picked up some suet/mealwork pellets to scatter on the ground - those together with the Waitrose Essential Raisins will get some of the ground feeders interested image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh