Forum home Wildlife gardening

getting ready for the great Garden Bird Watch

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,323

Is she a big lass and a bonny lass Pete?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Whay aye, a bonny lass, and a marvel in a local coble. The Forfar was her high spot.

or,    as they say down south in Lancashire    a 'gradely' lass !

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Victoria Sponge, maybe post up your birds for today if you missed it yesterday. image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,042

Didn't see my birdz today Gemma, dark when I left for work, dark when I got backimage

Never mind - I'll catch up with them tomorrow - see what they're up toimage

• Yes....I too have wondered why my masses of visiting birds all disappear on THE day.However one bird count day Iwas amazed to see a Firecrest drinking and bathing in our mini man made waterfall. Have never seen it since but it was a wonderful experience. On the bird hits glass subject the window stickers have worked well for us we have pretty leaf shaped ones which look good on windows. A blue tit hit our summerhouse window one day when I was privileged to see what happened next..... it picked itself off the ground and woozily fluttered up into our weeping birch tree where to my horror it lost consciousness I rushed to save it from falling but nature did just that ! It fell off the branch but instead of falling further it held on hanging upside down by one foot .Iwaited there ready to catch it should it leave go and there it hung for 15 minutes eyes closed ! After this it started to come round, fluttered back on to the branch and sat there recovering. Then it flew off as if nothing had happened ! 

Had a very similar experience last summer with a female blackbird. She flew full on into the kitchen window whilst I was out in the garden. I thought she must be a goner as she laid there on the concrete looking completely dead. Then there was a twitch, she got up, sort of, then fell over under the wheelbarrow, with eyes closed. I kept an eye on her whilst working nearby and sure enough she got back on her feet, waited what must have been another 5-10 minutes then flew off looking fine. I was kind of relieved I resisted handling her which was the first instinct, the shock of that on top of the impact might have done more harm than good.

I have some home brewed wine that has this effect !

Grace Starling, Pride of the N.E !

Lovely picture Peat B. I moved the mealworm feeder yesterday, attached it to the bird table instead of the shed window. Robin found it immediately image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,042

Was surprised to see a robin bouncing around eating peanuts in the bird/garden part of the diy store earlierimage I got the impression from a staff member it lived on the plant food shelves. Brightened my morningimage