Forum home Wildlife gardening

getting ready for the great Garden Bird Watch

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,322

Maybe we should do our own New Year's Day bird count.

I can offer:

15pheasants

8 woodpigeons

6 magpies

3 jackdaws

2 rooks

3 robins

1 song thrush

7 blackbirds

3 blue tits

2 coal tits

1 treecreeper

1 wren

2 bullfinches

2 great tits

4 chaffinches

and a partridge in a pear tree (only wishing)image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Great idea image

So far today:

blue tit

magpie

great tit

long-tailed tit

wagtail

robin

sparrow

jay

blackbird (they are enjoying some gammon fat I put on Christmas Day)

collared dove

starling

dunnock 

wren

I would struggle with a head count, we have so many sitting in the trees and bushes whizzing backwards and forwards to the feeders.

I started putting out mealworms for the first time yesterday, not much interest yet but I hope they might attract some new species and provide some variety to the regulars.

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

I forgot, we also had, 3 chaffinches, 2 coal titters, 3 jackdaws, and no fartridges in pear trees, 'cos our pear trees are on final warnings. No fruit, yer out this year !

We put mealworms out on the studio roof every morning, mixed with surplus porridge/ porrage and within minutes, the starlings, spuggies and jackers are swooped down and stuffing themselves.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I think it will take some time for them to find the mealworms, they are in a tray feeder stuck to the shed window so they are under a bit of cover. Not far from the other feeders though , so should just be a matter of time. I did see a robin pecking around underneath the mealworm feeder this morning, perhaps a few had wriggled out of the drainage holes.image

Took the binoculars out just now, thought it might be easier to start getting counts using them, seems it would be as it was fairly easy to pick out individual groups in the trees and hedges and the numbers. Quite surprised looking a few doors down to see a flock of fieldfares in a tree, never once seen them in the garden, but nice to know they around.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Peat B make sure the porridge oats you put out are uncooked. Cooked porridge will get in their feathers and cause problems it is so sticky.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,042

Oh! I missed the NYD bird count! 

I don't know if I'm going to bother with the rspb bird count this year. I haven't had an email like I nomally do but I take it it is happening soon?

I'm never sure that other people count properly - 300 hoopoes or 1 x hoopoe seen 300 times...also what if all the neighbours count the same hoopoe?

Do you think it really means anything/ has worthwhile data or is it the same as counting cars on the road?image I'm not sure...maybe if I had more fun birds - otherwise it's just as many starlings as I can count before I lose track...image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,972

I love starlings - they're so exotic looking and sounding image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

We've got one oop t'lotty. Grace Starling. Bit of a water feature, so she is !

• Victoria - you count the number of birds perched in your garden at any one time (not flying over) - the numbers can change during the count period - a couple now, then just one, then perhaps five.  You then record the highest number seen perched at any one time.

I've seen a lot of hoopoes in my time (common in the area of the Languedoc where we live part of the year) but 300...perched....now that would be something