Forum home Wildlife gardening

getting ready for the great Garden Bird Watch

• Nut - I have a set of the black bird silhouette stickers on the huge windows of my veranda in France and they seem to do the trick - no casualties since they were put up.  I think the birds see greenery reflected in the glass and fly towards it....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I think that must be it gg. I'll see if I can alter the look of things from their point of view

• so where do they all go?  RSPB assures us that if they are not in our gardens, somebody else will be counting them but |I'm beginning to wonder about a big black hole....

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    The starlings leave one sentry in the tree to call the others when I put out the food. One year I put 46 into the Bird count (it was correct) and the RSPB queried it.

I think they should ask if you feed the birds, because it makes a great difference to the numbers. Though we have plenty of wrens and wagtails and they never come to the bird table.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,128

All my birds deserted me on bird count day. I think the neighbours with kids put out food that day,and my birds went to check  out new feeding points. The blackbirds are currently queuing in the magnolia, waiting for breakfast.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,980

I think you may have sussed it Fidget image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,128

New restaurant in town, everyone tries it, then goes back to the trusted favourite.image

I feed the birds all year round. They know where to come in bad weather.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,980

Same here - but maybe I'll try some new feeds over the next few weeks to keep them on their toes and interested in my garden and not other peoples image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Woke up this morning to see new visitors at the feeders, long tailed tits, lots of them too, a really nice surprise for New Years Day image 

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

And lo! What have we here ! A New Year  Blue tit, oop t'lotty. Happy new year everyone. 

About this RSPB bird count. I can identify with all the comments about the birds disappearing on the day, when the day before, there were veritable FLOCKS of whatever you can think of ! Only yesterday, Vee and I counted 4 starlings, 3 dunnocks, 8 spuggies, 4 (?) blue tits, 2 Blackies,(waiting for us!) evidence of pheasants scratching around under the feeders, and, WAIT FOR IT !........ a first timer,   a small group of LONG TAILED TITS ! TA DAHHHHHHH ! It was the first time Vee had seen them live, and only three days ago, I had been wistfully thinking how nice it would be to see some oop t'lotty. All things come to those who wait with good intention. But, RSPB census is the kiss of death for our birds. I do however, send them reports of what turns up whenever an unusual visitor condescends to bestow upon us , it's presence and glory to wor plot.

So here we go again. Another year of planning ( ho ho ho ho ), digging and preparation for the best, expecting the worst and getting something wonderful where we least expect it. As it Tony Hancock show, 'It's a GAME, isn't it Sid'?