outside jasmine

Do I need to protect my jasmine now its a tad colder in the mornings?

• Depends what sort of jasmine it is. More information needed.

• jean6jean6 Posts: 157

maybe I should take a photo of mine.. had it for years but yet to flower...image

• If its a hardy jasmine like mine it will lose all its leaves in winter and look very sad!  Mine has a lovely perfume in the summer evenings so worth the wait for new shoots and leaves and pretty white flowers. It does go a bit wild so needs to be cut back at the end of the summer.

mine is hardy but only grow to around 5/6ft... maybe I should cut it down slightly & then I will get a flower...image

• Jean, is your jasmine growing in full sun? It also likes  a sheltered, frost free position .

semi sun/shade...reasonably sheltered but how can you protect from frost as it gets everywhere.. ha haaa

do you feed yours..I dont..

• I have fed mine, but not on a regular basis.  Once it gets going theres no stopping it!  Try cutting it back again then in the spring when the new shoots appear give it a feed. 

here is jasmine which must be about 5/6yrs old.. not big is it image

• Does that mean it has been in the open for the past 5 to 6 years?

If so a spring feed will probably help. Don't feed it now as it will produce tender shoots which will not survive frost. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a honeysuckle to me.