Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Conifer problem

When I moved here 3 years ago there were 2 conifer bushes shaped like balls in the garden, they grow from one central 'stem' from just above ground level and are globe like. They were almost rock hard and dense so that you could lean against them and they wouldn't move, except to wobble, they didn't yield like a hedge would.

I seem not to have noticed them growing quietly away into shrubs almost 7' tall and 15' round. 

So under my not so watchful eye they have become loose and more open and have lost their jelly like structure.

My question(s) is - is it possible to return them to their smaller/denser state by pruning? Or can I now only hope to keep them the size they are by regular pruning - and if that's the case will they become denser over time - if so it's ok because the garden can take the size. I suppose i just need to get them under control and keep them that way! Just don't know how or when to prune - they are trimmed right now .

I had grandiose ideas of topiary at one stage but don't know if that's possible with conifer - I don't know what species they are but can post a photo tomorrow if it would help - too dark now.

• Thanks Verdun I had a feeling that would be the case. My own fault for not paying more attention! 

Do you think they will become more dense over time with regular pruning? How do I prune them - is it cutting back to just before old wood? I was advised to do that in autumn so did it then - do I prune again in spring? 

I don't know what they are, I'll post a photo tomorrow but they grow in a similar way to Thuja orientalis -Aurea nana. Thet aren't this but have that same sort of overall shape, much bigger and more green than yellow.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you cut any of the green fluffy stuff off to the bare wood, that is how they stay, they dont shoot out fresh growth.

Maybe, if you want some you can keep managable now would be the time to start again with fresh ones. Then you can keep picking out the tops until they are a nice size, then just trim twice a year.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Verdun - probably a stupid question but by green growth I assume you mean the stems? 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

You might find this useful nightgarden, I posted the link up on another thread recently

http://www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk/www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk/Pruning_conifers.html

It is a little easier for me because I prune all the conifers in the garden by cutting them at the base. They then grow back as nice mixed native hedges instead. image

• Thanks GemmaJF I'll take a look, I've just seen a very interesting idea - for free standing conifers not hedges though. It is to take off the lower growth flush with the main trunk/stem to produce a sort of lollipop shape (more attractive than it sounds) so gives air and light beneath and around and looks good too.