Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

royal poinciana

For 2 years now I have successfully grown several Poincianas from seed in pots in the greenhouse. In winter I bring them indoors to the kitchen windowsill, away from the glass (it rarely drops below 10C & averages about 17C). I water them lightly every 2 days or so . After a few weeks of looking healthy all the leaves start to shrivel and dry up. I kept the stems potted last winter but they didn't grow again. It's the same thing now. What is going wrong?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Poincianas are flame trees that grow between 5 and 12 metres. They grow in tropical climates. Is that what you mean?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Yes, but they have only grown to about 1ft tall so far (about 8 months old). They grew happily in the greenhouse and I brought them indoors about a month ago. They were fine until a few days ago.

• I'm wondering whether it's the reduced light levels they don't like.  If you really want to grow these it might be worth considering heating that greenhouse. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks folks, I've grown other tropical plants successfully here (Central France), but these just don't seem to like the winter, despite being in a light position indoors in a reasonable temperature. I would have had to keep them pruned to less than 2 metres tall anyway so maybe they never would have flowered. Can't win 'em all!

HNY everyone.