Fence Replacement?

Hi everyone I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

I'm going to be replacing our front fence in the new few months, ideally before Spring so I can then plant stuff out the front.I've attached a picture so you can see just how shoddy it is at the moment. The neighour keeps hitting it, which didnt bother us, because, well, look at the state of it. But now we want to do up the front of the house to look ship shape and need to take it down and replace it. Now my dilemma, is do I just replace it with another fence, and say 'right, no hitting this one!' or are there any alternatives that would look nicer? Its around a 3 1/2 - 4 metre length which then hits a big tree at the far end of the drive which we are probably taking down so a possibility to extend to around 8 metres in total I think. Thanks guys

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,279

What does the neighbour hit it with?  Is the fence just a boundary marker or intended for privacy?

I would be inclined to go for metal mesh fencing as it is sturdy and, if installed correctly will last for years and be more or less maintenance free.  You can buy green, black or white coated mesh fencing in various heights.    You could train a clematis or two or some pyracantha along for added interest.

If that's too fancy or expensive you could make one by cutting panels of the rusty mesh builders use for reinforcing concrete.  It comes in 5m x 2m lengths and we have used it to separate our veggie plot from the field behind and it now has blackberries growing up it and also supports sunflowers and pumpkins in season.

Along another boundary we have cut it to 4' high to protect a holly hedge from cows who were nipping the tender new shoots in spring and making it a very short, fat hedge.  It is now growing taller and has been a picture with masses of bright red berries this year.

Our panels are attached to wooden posts buried in concrete to withstand strong winds.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,499

It looks like he backs his trailer into it. A couple of these should get the message across.image

http://www.marshalls.co.uk/commercial/street-furniture/products/rhino-service-yard-bollard-webfa100034

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.