Evergreen Climbers for Garden structure

Hi all,

I have a raised semi circle of a sandstone border and wanted to create a permanent fun focal point. The area can be seen from the window and so I wanted to create something with height that would be fun to look at in the summer.

I settled on making a squirrel family out of chicken wire. I made the daddy last night and the others are to come.

I want to grow an evergreen climber that will cover the family (each will need their own plant). Any suggestions?

I also need suggestions for two old metal gates which I am going to use as a backdrop climbing frame for another climber so any suggestions for that too would be great.

Thanks

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,720

My mum made very convincing topiary squirrels using ivy to cover a chicken wire frame - took a couple of years to get full coverage, then just needed trimmingimage. She grew ivy up the centre of the frame and let it grow through the wire, rather than grow it round the outside of the frame.  Good luck - think step by step photos might be required to keep us entertained on hereimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

You can get varieties of ivy with quite small close-growing leaves - I think they'd be ideal image

Yes please - progress reports with photos image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh