Forum home Talkback

Controlling re-shooting shrubs

Hi, my new garden has several laurels that have been cut right down to the ground and has resulted in several new shoots/trunks growing from each stump.  I'm just wondering how these will grow in the long run if I leave them, as I would like to keep them.  Would they grow so dense, huge and out of control or can I prune to reshape?The old stumps are the size of tree trunks.  Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,785

The shoots will grow quickly as they have roots to match the trunks.  I have a large laurel and it grow over a metre per year so all of the top growth has to be pruned off to keep it under some sort of control.  You can prune the new shoots once they reach the desired height and they will then form side-shoots and should bush out nicely.  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I've got some of these and I'm not letting them get tall again. I'm removing the tip of each stem in the hope that they'll bush out. I'm hoping I can keep them as a bush for some years before they get too big and need cutting back to base again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

Once they get to the height you want give them a firm trim every year and you can keep them under control.  They can look very good if kept neat and provide good nesting sites for blackbirds and ideal shelter for hedgehogs image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh