Fig tree

Now the weather is getting colder at night should I wrap up my fig tree. I have about 4 figs growing do I keep these, they are bigger than a pea, is that correct, or should I take off the larger ones and keep the smaller than pea figs, very confusing for a newbie.  

I see on the website not to feed my new lawn, I see a couple of weeds poking through but as wrote on another thread I will take them out next spring.  

regards Chris

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Do not wrap your fig, it is hardy.  Can't remember if it was in a pot or the ground.

Remove any figlet bigger than a very small pea; it will fall off anyway in the Spring. If it is big enough to be recognisably a fig, remove it.

I wouldn't feed your new lawn, otherwise it will make a lot of lush growth which will be frost-damaged in a month or so.  If you can nip any weeds out now, that's good.  You will be busy enough in the Spring.

• Hi 

Thanks for the quick response and great advice.

The fruit is over a pea size and it is in a pot.  But it is a bit thin and and spindly and just had a thought image as you mentioned before in another of my post Chris2 I will cut a third off early spring to thicken it up, so the fruit will be lost next spring anyway.  The weeds in the lawn are very small so will leave till next spring.  

Thanks again.