Forum home Talkback

What is wrong with my Clematis??

Hi Everyone Happy Xmas and New Gardening Year !

imageI just need advice on Clematis please, I planted it up in September and it was alive and thriving , now since it has been a mild Autumn/winter then colder and light Snow this week, it has gone dry, brown and crispy?? It is in a deep pot ( with good drainage) and on a South facing wall, so what could be wrong? I really want a climber in my small patio, but haven't had much success here or in my last house, help?? Connie

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,448

Hello Connie77image

Do you know the name of the variety?  Many/most clematis are deciduous and lose their leaves in the winter, so this may be perfectly normal behaviour.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Hi Connie, first things first... Do you know its name?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,548

Clematis are sometimes sneaky rotters. They pretend to die, you cut them back only to find that the stems are healthy and green inside. Call its bluff. Ignore it. 10 to 1 it's just having a larf.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • connie77connie77 Posts: 139
    Hi , thankks for advice, can't remember plant type, sorry on that it has light mauve flowers, i have it in a deep planter at present against a south facing wall, i'm sure it will be ok, just me panicking as i have lost one before, Connie
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,478

Hi Connie. I agree with all the comments above. All my clematis look like sticks at the moment. I read that your clematis is situated in a pot on a south facing wall. Clematis like their heads in the sun but a cool root run during the summer so just ensure that the pot keeps relatively cool or the plant may not be too happy. Happy New Year everyone!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069

This is normal for all except the evergreen clematis.    Wait till spring and then prune it back to a healthy pair of buds on each stem.   Give it a generous top dressing of proper clematis food and a boost of liquid rose or tomato food and make sur eit has good supprots in place for all the new growth that will follow.

Clematis are very thirsty, hungry plants so in a pot it is entirely dependent on you for all the food and water it needs to keep it healthy and flowering.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw