Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My poor philadelphus

Hi all, the heavy snow has snapped the longest branch on my philadelphus image it didn't flower much in mast year, it's first in the garden, and I was so looking forward to it' s flowers, is there any hope at all to tape it and splint it to save it?.... I' m being ridiculous aren't t I?! Shall I just make a lean cut and accept Thátbranchwon' t flower?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's a shame rmimage

I would do a nice clean sloping cut just above a healthy bud or even take that whole stem back to base.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Thanks nut, I will brave the cold again tomorrow and do that

• It's a big shame - but there may be a silver lining.  Philadelphus sometimes throws up one long branch and the others are quite spindly in comparison.  If you had asked me I would have advised you to cut that main branch hard back and then it would have thrown up several new branches and you'd have a well balanced shrub. 

Now, without even having gone to the bother of asking, you're going to get that well-balanced shrub image

You'll have to do without flowers this year, but maybe you can plant something nearby that will focus attention for this year - just think of it as an excuse to go to the garden centre image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.