Forum home The potting shed

2015, here we come!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,861

Well I can guarantee this late riser won't be first ...... but I will turn up eventually (like all bad penniesimage)

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Mine will start when my new shed/greenhouse combo arrives in early Feb!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,170

Maybe its just my climate, but I have learned from experience not to sow any annuals till end of March to end of April.

I cant plant anything out until mid to end of May at least  so theres no point in sowing seeds any earlier or they just get leggy starved and most would need another potting on. 

My new year starts on the 1st Jan. As well.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

I just can't wait for spring when the daffodils are popping there heads and sowing my sweet pea seeds, ho roll on spring image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

My new year started today! Have taken all the decorations down; compensation for putting them up so early!  House feels lovely and clean.

Pottered about in the greenhouse earlier. Found homes for garden related Christmas presents.  Sweet peas seem to have recovered from their leggy start. 

Had a good look at the flower beds; still partly under snow!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,187

I agree with Lyn, annuals best sown from March, except Sweet Peas. The ones I sowed in February last year, apart from the Busy-Lizzies and Lobelia, went leggy.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    I cant wait for 2015 to start! Having some building work done on the house. So i will gain a greenhouse from the old conservatory(recycling!). Got a blank canvass at the bottom of the garden so planning to do abit of landscaping. Bring it on imageimage
  • Chilli seeds started off last week and already have little shoots showing. Next to sort out other seeds and decide what to try and grow this year, including tomatoes.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,195

Well, just bagged six 80 litre compost bags with my own stuff dug from the 'ready' heap, and lovely black crumbly stuff it is too!  image  Made mainly from shreddings with the addition of copious amounts of comfrey and, erm.. 'natural human liquid compost accelerator', an unbeatable combination!

That will give my plants a nice head start come spring.

When I came in to warm my hands and feet up, I found three seed catalogues had come through the letterbox, so that's the evenings sorted for the next few days. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

My New Year started today, went and bought the wood to make a new bench in the potting shed today. Hope to have it up and done by January 1st. Then I'll start with some Cauliflower seeds, some native Foxgloves (with luck sowing in January may see them flower in the first year) and I have some garlic to put in. All these will go in my heated propagator as no greenhouse yet!

Looks like we might have a fair bit of snow in January, so will be ordering all my veg seeds, seed tatties etc then. Hopefully I'll be able to get on the veg plot a bit earlier than last year when it was wet until May! This year I put in plenty of muck whilst it was still workable and should have some compost for the top too come the spring.

Already have lots of packs of wild flower seed I ordered just before Christmas, they should keep me busy through the year. Thinking of trying some in pots and planters just for the fun of it as well as putting some out in the wildlife garden. imageI must get around to making a cold frame at some point too... and... and...  oh well might as well get started with it all image