Forum home Plants

climbing roses

vic14vic14 Posts: 82
Hi all. Here i am with another question. Now christmas is done i am willing spring to hurry up! I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good climbing rose for my garden arch? Hope you all enjoyed christmas. Thanks. Vic

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..well, I wouldn't want to recommend something unsuitable, so I would need to know:-

1. what colour is your arch...white? black?  brown?...

2. what material is it made of...metal, wood...?

3. how tall and wide is it...e.g. 7 foot tall at apex...4 foot wide...? something like that...

4. what else is growing on it...?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,251

Also, what colour scheme do you have in mind? One of my favourite mini climbers (2metres, thin wiry stems) is Warm Welcome. But if you don't want a sharp orange then it's not much use to you.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • vic14vic14 Posts: 82

It is dark brown wood . 7ft tall 2ft wide. There is a clemtis on one side. Not sure what type though as it was already here. I quite fancy a red one.image

heres a photo of said arch. Sorry its on it side not very good at this 

It's OK if I double click on the pic it rights itselfimage

Dublin Bay is a nice red red and Climbing Falstaff is a beautiful deep red with good fragrance.

Ive actually just looked at falstaff on the david austin website. It said it repeat flowers well so perhaps that one will be a good choice. Please excuse the terrible lawn in the photo its not normally like that image

Thats amazing image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,041

Hi vic

I planted 5 Falstaff a couple of years ago. Lovely rose with a very strong scent.
    It does get rain damaged though and the blooms fill with rain then topple over, which is annoying but likely to happen with any full rose with upright flowers.
    I grow them in the border, not on an arch.
    I do have an arch at the front that I would like to put a rose on, but I'm wary of visitors getting scratched, so I grew a Trachelospermum jasminoides instead.

I did grow rose Souvenir du Dr Jarmian over a pergola yrs ago. The deepest blood red velvet-like flowers and the strongest and best fragrance I've ever know from a rose.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I have Dr Jamain too but the slightest ray of sunshine sends the petals ash grey for me. In a shady spot though, fantastic.

Is that Santana yours, Eddimage