Forum home Plants

Helleborus Washfield Queen

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,787

I bought this small Hellebore a few months back from a well known nursery. It's first flower has opened but it doesn't look at all like I expected it to...image

It is described as cream with red veins and edging and although this picture isn't exactly true to real life, I would describe it as white with a hint of green.

Does anyone know this plant? I wondered if the colour varies...? Should I wait for somemore flowers before I contact the nursery? It has one other bud but that looks pure white from the outside...

Thank youimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Hi Vic, it looks like any white hellebore doesn't it?

I'd email that photo to your supplier and ask where the red veins and edging are

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,787

Hi Nutimage

Yes I think you're right. Just doubting myself I suppose...

I'll send them the pic...

Hi Verdunimage

I sent the nursery a photo of the plant but got an out of office message until Mon. I'll wait and see what they say...

Do you think it could turn out to be the correct plant though, ref what you said about mis-leading first flowers?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Is there any sign of red pigment anywhere? 

It looks a rather lovely pure white in the photo

No red on this flower. 3 white petals and 2 that are light green on the back and a bit lighter than in the picture on the front.

The bud isn't pure white- I got that wrong- it is a pale green and I just assume it'll be white when it opens...

Doesn't look like the nursery's photo that's for sure!image