Forum home Talkback

internet

granmagranma Posts: 1,879

For the last three weeks we have had problems with the internet it's been very hit and miss . Specially     last week before Christmas and right now , started this thread at five fifteen.having to keep adding bits then come back to it.

Am I the only one or is everyone the same ?

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,851

Hi Gran

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I don't think it's a problem with the site which has been working fine for me over the period you mention.

Can I suggest you try the following: Completely power down your router followed by all your devices and computers which access the internet (ie turn them all off - not send them to sleep).

Wait 5 mins then turn them all back on - I would do the router first followed by desktop computer followed by portable devices.

Does that make a difference?

If things are still go-slow check what other members of the household are up to on the internet - if several of you are doing 'heavy duty' tasks (e.g. downloading films / gaming) at the same time that will slow you down.

Finally ask your neighbours - are they having problems? If so - might be a problem at the exchange / cabinet & your ISP or line provider might be able to help.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck - these days it's a bit isolating when t'internet is playing up image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,879

thanks topbird , we have come to the conclusion   its because we are in a rural area.our phone is down   so calls are being diverted to a mobile.  .this is happening  quite ofton .

i am also trying to use the iplayer but it tells me the shockwave flash has crashed. have you any ideas on this please ? i have just put a thread out for this one.

we tried what you suggested last night , made no differance.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,851

Hi Gran

I can see you're getting some assistance with the flash / shockwave issue elsewhere. Hope you get sorted out soon. How are you accessing the internet if your main phone is down? 

If you're relying on a mobile signal that would certainly explain slow & dropped connections (at home I can't use my mobile signal for anything beyond emails really).

If you continue to have problems you might want to think about whether you need a new router (I've assumed you have  a home network) - we had lots of problems with our connection until we bit the bullet & got a new one - they do 'wear out' like any sort of electronic kit & we look to replace ours about every 4 -5 years. 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • It's the North Koreans, they're not happy.....

• Oops! Looks like someone got N.P.D. for Xmas!image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

Top bird we contacted talk talk and they diverted the calls to a mobile .the phone number can still be dialed but  because we gave a mobile number they can divert the calls . The internet is hit and miss.

The casing to the telephone wires is underground but it comes into the property just above the bottom celler. ( we have two sellers ) the grass verge dips coming up to the walls of the property .we get the bottom celler flooded . 

Still with me or have I lost you ?image

Anyway the casing gets damp , and the phones go caaputt. Maybe I should have said a fault on our casings but it's easier to say the phones down.

I tried what you had suggested also what edd suggested ( every one image but still don't work ) maybe it's the router , suppose we will get it sorted eventually image

Just don't know whenimage

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,579

If it was me I would give up Talk Talk, not the best, everyone I know down here has had trouble with it. Did you pull the plug out from your router and start again, also power off your ipad.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.