Sowing Seeds in January

Hello,

I'd like to sow some Chilli seeds in January but due to the cooler temperatures would I need a heated Propagator for them to germinate properly?
I currently have an insulated Greenhouse with a Heater for when it dips below 5c but I wondered whether that would be enough?
I managed to sow some Antirrhinum's last January but as you'll remember we had milder weather.

Thanks in advance for any replies image 

• Hmmmm I think I will need to invest in one then lol Any recommendations?
    My house doesn't have central heating so I don't think I'd have much success with the windowsill.
    Good luck with your experiment image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

My recommendation would be not to start yet.

Every year someone asks what to do with the plants they started early,  are getting etiolated and pale and they've got nowhere to put them.image

• That's a fair point, I've just read a lot recently that Chilli's need to be started in January image

I've found this propagator online, has anybody had any experience with it?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stewart-Thermostatic-Control-Electric-Propagator/dp/B006ZNCOVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1419602029&sr=1-2&keywords=heated+propergators 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Have a search through the threads, NGCARDS. There was a very long thread on growing chillies last year. Someone might remember what it was called but I can't.

• Thanks I shall check it out, I have some Jalepeno seeds to try but I'm always up for trying new things image 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

There's just not enough daylight this time of year.

The warmth will make them grow, but with only ~8hrs daylight they will be spindly and weak.

I start mine end feb/ early march in a heated prop. in the g/house and give them as much light as possible.

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete, by the sounds of the feedback I should hold off a few weeks then.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

I would NGC.

I've tried sowing chilli and toms in mid Jan a few times over the years. Never works, even in a heated propagator in a g/house. Even keeping the temps down to slow growth, the lack of light (especially decent light), causes them to grow long and spindly. The toms usually snap at some stage as the stems are so thin and there's a foot of stem between each set of leaves and a corresponding lack of trusses.

In my experience it's not worth the effort for such poor results.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I agree it does sound rather disappointing, thanks for the warning. 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,383

Hi NGC

No advice to add re sowing chilli seeds but I do have a heated propagator. It's not quite the same as the model you have there (mine has a variable thermostat to control the temp) but it is a Stewart one. 

I have had it for years and found it a good robust piece of kit. Hope that helps.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down