Forum home Talkback

Feeding birds Yes or No

Last year I fed birds from late winter to spring but had to give up in the end because the birds whilst feeding were providing food for rats which became bolder and bolder and even during the day were seen climbing along branches to get to the food,they could not even be bothered to wait for food dropping to the ground.

The result of this was to stop the feeding, but today it is so cold that I have put a little out, and intend to remove it as soon as it warms up again.

Has anyone else found a solution to feed only the birds , and not the rats, when they might need it. ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Put the bird food where you can see it from a window and get an air rifleimage

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

I have built a simple square arch over 2 metres high - two fence posts with a bar screwed across the top with hooks for hanging feeders.   The rats never climb up and the cats can't pounce.   There's a twisted hazel nearby for cover when the sparrow hawk flies in.

However I also put loose seed down on a slab below for the ground feeders and rats do visit that from their burrows along the edge of the field behind.   When they get too cheeky I put down sachets of poison in the entrances to their burrow, especially now as they're thinking of going into breeding mode.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,630

would you believe a couple of robins have paired up in our garden and iv read they like CHEESE so a few chopped sultanas ,raisins,one grape, a little shredded suet ,some cheese,with a little Allbran to keep em regular,bowl of water, What did they eat first yep the Cheese, checked with the rspb and yes go for it they said robins like mild cheese. 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

Nut image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

Can rats climb up metal  , is it too slippery?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I shouldn't think a rat can climb metal gran but they're very clever and might think of a way to do it image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

My daughter had a similar problem.  She bought some Shepherd's Crook type metal poles to hang the bird feeders from, and makes sure she uses the 'non mess' type feed so there's little scattered on the ground to attract the rats.  She says the problem's over image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

It's freezing out there and any snow makes foraging very difficult.  Feed the birds and worry about rats later.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

Another vote for the air rifle from me. I always make a point of spilling some of the bird food so the ground feeders get a look in. It is bound to attract rats where we live, so the simplest solution is to shoot the rats and be done with it.

I find it much easier to take them out in the day at the bird table, rather than all the fuss of using night sights etc and hunting around the garden in the middle of the night.

It's always best if feeding the birds to always feed them, to do it irregularly has the problem that they may not find it in time when they most need it, or the opposite, they get reliant on it and it isn't there when they most need it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

Germma, I know you're aware of the regulations etc, but in case someone else comes across this thread in the future I'll just post a word of warning - if you have a large garden and no near neighbours an air rifle in capable hands can be a good solution to a vermin problem image

However - if your garden isn't larger than the range of your air rifle, you'll be breaking the law - you are also breaking the law if you fire it within 50ft of a public highway - this  includes public footpaths and bridleways.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh