Forum home Plants

Please can anybody tell me the name of this plant.

Hopefully an image has transferred. Many thanks in advance.....regards John.

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    Hippeastrum
  • Kaffir lily

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,092

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1806

Hesperantha coccinea. The 'Major' in the link is a cultivar, yours will be another cultivar

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,283

Kaffir lily, Schizostylis, mine still in flower too, they can spread and pop up all over the place, you sometimes need to pull some out, but you can transplant them easily enough.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Snap Nut!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,092

image Lyn, good morning

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,744

I"ve got a pink one that colour called Fenland Daybreak - could be that one.  Fabulous plants - look exotic, but very toughimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Wow who says gardening is dead this time of the year.....thank you people.

It might get frowned upon but I purchased some bulbs from "What" after getting ripped off by a local garden centre on coccinea plants. The results have been brilliant, unfortunately not all of the bulbs were as they might say.....what it says on the tin image

If I can get more of this species then I will be ecstatic. To have colour in the garden this time of the year is a big smile.

Regards and thank you all......John

Watch them next summer John, you may see lots of little shoots coming up a few inches away from the main plants, these you can either transplant, beware, they can be quite deep, I like to see a nice big clump of them, but its up to you if you leave them or transplant.

There is always something flowering in the garden all year round.

• Lyn I have a load of shrubs and have been trying to add colour by purchasing a few of the Coccinea family, starting with Schizostylis major that are a brilliant red. Some lillies were also brought in, but may be a bit too tall as we live on a hillside and can catch a bit more than a breeze......they will be moved. The beauty of the bulbs (coccinea) are that they are multiplying and as you say some (nice clumps) will be well received. Now and again one will slip through the net......"I wonder what that one is"?........thank you, a great site.