Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where to put arch?

Hello

I've been given an metal archway for christmas, and wondered if I could get some advice on where you would put it.  

I have a long path down the side of the garden that we have just put sleepers down the left hand side to keep the soil from falling into the path.  I'm thinking of putting the arch at the end of the path leading you through to the woody area with some ramblers / climbers going over the arch. 

Where would you put it and what would you have climbing up it.  

The soil is light sandy

whole length of path. 

half way up path, where the woody area starts, I'm thinking of putting the arch there.  Would it get enough light for roses to grow. quite shady once leaves are back on the hazel.

view from wood to house

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's hard to get  distance from a pic but I'd build and prop it up in various positions to see where it goes well.

My first try would be, on the first pic, just in front of the shrub on the other side of the grass.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I would place it at the end of your lavender edging, I'd probably have to move a couple of those plants out the way, and immediately before the grass starts, as that way I would be either entering or leaving a different area of the garden...

• The end of your path looks a good spot to start with. What part of your garden get the sun the most during the day? It might be better side on with a seat under it, a nice place to sit in the summer.

I agree with Nut in trying it in various positions around the garden, as it may be best somewhere totally different to our suggestions. Look forward to seeing where it ends up.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I think it will get lost all the way down the bottom so it should go at the start of the lawned area.  You'll also be able to grow a repeat flowering rambler such as Malvern Hills there and enjoy the flowers and perfume as you pass.   However, if your soil is light and sandy you'll need to did in an awful lot of well rotted manure and garden compost to give it the richness roses need.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato