What would you do?

Denno666Denno666 Posts: 107

A small part of our back garden is woodland (and I mean small, I think it's a fragment of what was left - we have farmland behind now). It has been overgrown for a bit despite my best efforts and my mum finally (after a bit of pushing/getting permission) got a bloke in to trim the conifers, chop a tree down etc. My mum is very happy although me personally I think it looks a bit bare.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would be suitable to plant in the space behind the shed? I don't want anything that will get too big; also I'm not sure if bulbs would grow given that the soil might be compacted. Ideas much appreciated!

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,199

Easy one for me, nice mixed native hedge from the shed to the back, dig a pond in the opened up area image There will I'm sure be more sensible less wildlife obsessed ideas to come. image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,150

Was it a willow that disappeared? If so, the soil will be moist and shouldn't be too difficult to break up for planting. 

How big is "too big"? Would a viburnum or some other winter-flowering bush be too big? I love to see bulbs planted in woodland type areas. Unfortunately, the only ones that my wildlife let me see are snowdrops and Tête à Tête narcissi. But they flourish. Also, if you soil is alkaline, primroses look great too.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,425

What a lovely little area - what my Pa would call a Spinney.  I'd go for a hedge of hazels, a wildlife pond, some ferns, foxgloves, native English bluebells, primroses, snowdrops, native daffodils (narcissus pseudonarcissus) maybe some hellebores, ragged robin .... shall I carry on .... I could keep going for ages .... image

That lot would virtually look after themselves image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I'd call it a spinney as well. We have a similar area just across the lane here.  It's alongside the railway line which runs in a steep cutting and houses woodpeckers and Tawny owls along with a lot of other wildlife.  One on the farm across the valley has human history from the Romans on.  They were building a dam and an aqueduct there.  Later a track ran through from Abbotsbury on the Dorset coast to the Benedictine Priory in the Park.  WW2 saw American troops housed in there.  I stand in the middle of it, looking through the trees and picturing all the activity in what is now just a quiet unused and neglected corner

• Denno666Denno666 Posts: 107

Thanks, all of these ideas have given me much food for thought! Once the festivities are over (or possibly before), I'll go check on what the soil is like up there. I've never had the opportunity to more or less start from scratch anywhere in our garden so this will be interesting. I'm not sure what kind of tree it was that went (the one nearest to the front was top priority) but my Dad brought it when it was tiny and apparently he was meant to prune it ...image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I'd grow veg, or better still, soft fruit, which will stand a bit of shade....

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

It looks a bit like a willow that was taken out? As pansyface suggested. I like the woodland idea with bulbs planted. Snowdrops, bluebells, Wood Anemone, foxgloves and some native hedge on the right. Lots of potential there image

I haven't fully decided what to do yet (looking forward to it though!) but just to update, my mum says one of the trees was a willow - I think some of the ones we have left are silver birch, but I'm not very good at ID-ing trees

Funnily enough I was thinking about dogwood the other day, as my grandparents have some in their garden. Is it something you buy as a plant or seed?

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,720

Dogwood is best bought as a small tree/ shrub, but it also takes easily from cuttings, so if you want a few you can by one mother/stock plant and then increase your supplies by taking cuttings from that.  Its latin name is cornus, if you want to do some googlingimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.